Streams Thursdays at 3 pm and Sundays at 8 pm on Q2 Music
Brad Balliett and Doug Balliett — identical twin composers and performers from Massachusetts — have been performing together and collaborating for nearly thirty years. As bassoonist and double bassist (respectively) they perform as a duo and with groups all around New York, including the new music ensembles Deviant Septet, Metropolis Ensemble, Argento, Signal, and Alarm Will Sound, with chamber ensembles The Declassified and Ensemble ACJW, with symphonies such as Handel & Haydn and the Hartford Symphony, and a host of other diverse ensembles.
Dedicated rappers, the brothers, along with Elliot Cole, make up The Oracle Hysterical and create pioneering hip-hoperas, rap cantatas, poperas, and so forth. Performances of these works have taken them around the world.
The Balliett brothers are fiercely competitive and work tirelessly to one-up each other. This drive creates a self-fueling passion to write the best work, listen to the best music, and learn as much as possible. They are thrilled to be joining Q2 Music's roster of personalities.
The Brothers Balliett have a ten-point Manifesto which will guide this show:
1. We are the Brothers Balliett.
2. We believe that the best music is the music that excites the best curiosity, excitement, passion and conversation.
3. We believe in music that bears repeated listening and offers something new with each visitation.
4. We believe that stretching the ear is a way to stretch the mind.
5. We believe in the continually ceaseless creativity of composers everywhere.
6. We believe that music must reflect the time in which it was written, and that all eras deserve representation.
7. We believe that great nations should strive to attract and support great artists.
8. We believe in absolute artistic freedom, unfettered by trend or dogma.
9. We believe that the power of ideas, creativity, and personality can shape a city's character.
10. We believe in the groove.
Thursday, June 05, 2014
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Thursday, May 22, 2014
Thursday, May 15, 2014
Thursday, May 08, 2014
Thursday, May 01, 2014
Thursday, April 17, 2014
Thursday, April 10, 2014
Thursday, April 03, 2014
Thursday, March 27, 2014
Today at 3 pm, the Brothers Balliett take a look at that oh-so-unselfish form, the double concerto – music for two soloists and orchestra. Featuring music of Peter Maxwell Davies and Philip Glass.
Thursday, March 20, 2014
Thursday, March 13, 2014
Thursday, March 06, 2014
Thursday, February 27, 2014
Did you ever notice just how high Italian composers write? From Puccini to Scelsi to Berio and everywhere in between, the Italians seem to love the highest range on each instrument, and as Oliver Knussen as pointed out, each generation seems to push the limits a little bit higher.
Thursday, February 20, 2014
Thursday, February 13, 2014
Thursday, February 06, 2014
Thursday, January 30, 2014
Thursday, January 23, 2014
This week, the Brothers Balliett are joined in the studio by composer, Rome Prize-winner and Guggenheim Fellow Harold Meltzer. Listen Thursday at 3 pm.